CH&CO Group Join as Co-Sponsor of Sustainable Business Category
CH&Co Group have joined the CIS Excellence Awards as co-sponsor of the Sustainable Business Award. The Berkshire-based group – whose own ethos incorporates a strong emphasis on sustainable practices and environmentally friendly policies – joins Seafood Scotland as co-sponsors of the category.
Kenny Leamy, CH&Co Group’s Head of Operations in Scotland (pictured left), said: ‘Sustainability is important to us as a company, so we’re delighted to be sponsoring the Sustainable Business Award at the CIS Excellence Awards.’
A portfolio of specialist businesses designed to provide the ideal catering, event or service solution for business & industry, education, healthcare, venues, and visitor attractions, CH&Co Group employs almost 5,000 people working across 450 locations throughout the UK and Ireland. Originally established in 1991 as Charlton House, the company now operates a number of well-known brands within the foodservice sector, including: Ampersand; Catermasters; Charlton House; Chester Boyd; Host; Lusso; ITA*, and Via360.
HRH Prince Andrew Tweets Support For CIS Awards Finalist
HRH Prince Andrew has Tweeted his support for a finalist in the 2016 CIS Excellence Awards. In a message posted on 4th May, the Duke – who established the tech-friendly initiative Pitch@Palace three years ago to help grow innovative technology companies – wished good luck to Gusto Artisan, the Edinburgh-based street food company.
Shortlisted in the CIS Business Innovation category, sponsored by Bidvest Scotland, Gusto Artisan Foods was founded in 2012 by Rachael and Steve Cousins.
Visit www.pitchatpalace.com, www.gustoartisan.com and www.bidvest.co.uk for more information.
The CIS Excellence Awards, in partnership with Caterer.com: The Shortlist 2016
The CIS Excellence Awards, in partnership with Caterer.com
The Healthier Scotland Award, sponsored by the healthyliving award, in association with NHS Health Scotland
- Aramark at Aegon, Edinburgh
- Entier Services, Aberdeen
- SUBWAY Scotland, Edinburgh
The Training and Employee Retention Award, sponsored by Caterer.com
- Elior UK
- Entier Services, Aberdeen
- Ibis Hotel, Edinburgh
The Pub Excellence Award, sponsored by Heinz Foodservice
- The Boat Inn, Aboyne
- Mhor 84, Balquhidder
- The Seafood Bar at the Crinan Hotel, Argyll
The Group Hotel Award, sponsored by Gram Refrigeration
- The Balmoral, Edinburgh (Rocco Forte Hotels)
- Blythswood Square, Glasgow (Principal Hayley Group)
- The Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel, Aberfoyle
The Independent Hotel Award, co-sponsored by Bruce Stevenson Insurance & Davidson Asset Management (DAM)
- Isle of Eriska, Argyll
- Killiecrankie Hotel, Perthshire
- The Torridon, Wester Ross
The Restaurant Newcomer Award, sponsored by Sodexo
- Firebrick Brasserie, Lauder
- IX Restaurant at the Chester Hotel, Aberdeen
- The Printing Press, Edinburgh
The Hospitality Educator Award, sponsored by Entier
- Gary Maclean, City of Glasgow College
- Gordon McIntyre, City of Glasgow College
- Ian Pirrie, The Edinburgh School of Food and Wine
The Banqueting and Events Chef Award. co-sponsored by ASA Recruitment & Pidy
- Craig Gibb, The Orde Food Company, Kelso
- Bruce Lawrence, Entier
- James Murphy, Grand Central Hotel, Glasgow
The Restaurant of the Year Award, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
- Cafe St Honore, Edinburgh
- Isle of Eriska, Argyll
- Number One at the Balmoral, Edinburgh
The Patisserie Chef Award, sponsored by Callebaut
- Iain Baillie, Tantrum Doughnuts, Glasgow
- Ross Sneddon, The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- Chris Stewart, The Edinburgh School of Food and Wine
- Helen Vass, Number 16 Restaurant, Glasgow
The Business Innovation Award, sponsored by Bidvest Scotland
- Eat Balanced, Glasgow
- Gusto Artisan, Edinburgh
- Pickering’s Gin, Edinburgh
The Sustainable Business Award, co-sponsored by CH&Co Group and Seafood Scotland
- BaxterStorey, Edinburgh
- The Captain’s Galley, Scrabster
- The Torridon Hotel, Wester Ross
The Young Chef Award, sponsored by Brakes Scotland
- Mikaela Wright, The Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh
- Jonathan Ferguson, Restaurant Andrew Fairlie, Auchterarder
- Adam Newth, The Tayberry Restaurant, by Dundee
The Employee of the Year Award, co-sponsored by Mazars and The Royal Bank of Scotland
- Aneta Broncel, the Edinburgh School of Food and Wine
- John Forteith, Bidvest Scotland
- Stephanie Stubbs, Hickory Food, Edinburgh
The Chef of the Year Award, sponsored by BaxterStorey
- Fred Berkmiller, L’Escargot Bleu, Edinburgh
- Alan Gibb, Gleneagles
- Bruce Lawrence, Entier
- Ian McAndrew, Blackaddie House Hotel, Sanquhar
The Lifetime Excellence Award, sponsored by Braehead Foods
The winner of this award will be announced on the night of 26th May at the Hilton Glasgow.
For more information on the ceremony, sponsors and Awards Advisory Board, visit www.cis-excellenceawards.com, or call 0800 130 3731.
CIS Excellence Awards Shortlist Delay
The release of the shortlist of finalists for the 2016 CIS Excellence Awards has been postponed from Monday 25th April until later in the week. According to a member of the Awards Advisory Board, the delay has been caused by the increased number of entries received this year, and the clash of judging schedules with the Easter holidays.
An exact date for the release has yet to be confirmed but it is, according to the Board, likely to be Thursday 28th or Friday 29th April.
Organisers have apologised for any inconvenience caused.
For more information in the meantime, check the news pages of this website, follow @CISAwards or call 0800 130 3731.
Hilton Glasgow Booking Discount Code Released for CIS Excellence Awards 2016
The new accommodation discount code has been released by the Hilton Glasgow for this year’s CIS Excellence Awards.
Promotional Code: ACIS16
Visit http://tinyurl.com/j5l9z9s to book direct.
Call 0141 204 5555 for any accommodation enquiries.
Glasgow Seeking to Break Duck in CIS Excellence Awards Restaurant of the Year
Can Glasgow break a long-standing duck and win Scotland’s Restaurant of the Year? That’s the question industry insiders are asking as the deadline looms for entries to this year’s CIS Excellence Awards.
The last time a Glasgow restaurant won the title was back in 2004, when the award went to Sir Terence Conran’s Étain.
In the past two years, the Restaurant Newcomer award has gone to Glasgow restaurants The Gannet and Ox and Finch, but the overall category has eluded the city for 11 years.
‘It’s very difficult to understand,’ explains Brian Maule (pictured), winner of the CIS Excellence Chef of the Year Award in 2012. ‘There are a great variety of restaurants in Glasgow and they’re opening at a terrific rate. I counted 20 openings in the past 18 months alone.
‘Clearly, those establishments voted Restaurant of the Year in the past were rated best by the judges at the time but a dining experience can be very subjective.
‘Depending when you eat you can have the best food but poor service, or vice versa; there are lots of factors involved. Getting them all right at the same time demands good management and a range of skills.’
As the main competition combining Scotland’s catering, hospitality and tourism industries, the CIS Excellence Awards are seen as the ultimate accolade for hotels, restaurants, gastro pubs and individuals working in the sector in Scotland.
Entries for all 16 categories close at midnight on Friday 11th March. The presentation ceremony, at the Hilton Glasgow on Thursday 26th May, will be hosted by broadcasters Catriona Shearer and Grant Stott.
For information about the CIS Excellence Awards, email nominations@cis-excellenceawards or call 0131 561 7348.
Just One Week to Go Till Entries Close for 2016!
With just one week to go till entries close for the 2016 CIS Excellence Awards, organisers are appealing to nominators and entrants to get their submissions completed in plenty of time before midnight on the closing date of 11th March.
With 16 categories including the recently launched Training and Employee Retention Award, sponsored by Caterer.com, and the Banqueting & Events Chef Award, co-sponsored by ASA Recruitment & Pidy, the awards spread the entire spectrum of hospitality, catering and tourism. Aimed at all levels and roles, they are free to enter and are judged by an experienced panel of industry experts.
And this year the awards also feature, for the first time, the brand-new Junior Chef Award.
Sponsored by Brakes Scotland, this category seeks to recognise and reward ambitious, skilled emerging chef talent, under 25 years of age, currently working in Scotland.
For more information on this and all 16 categories, visit the www.cis-excellenceawards.com/nominations/the-categories/ section of this site. The full list of categories is provided below.
THE 2016 CIS EXCELLENCE AWARD CATEGORIES
1) The Business Innovation Award, sponsored by Bidvest Scotland
2) The Employee of the Year Award, co-sponsored by RBS & Mazars
3) The Banqueting & Events Chef of the Year Award, co-sponsored by ASA Recruitment & PIDY
4) The Hospitality Educator Award, sponsored by Entier
5) The Healthier Scotland Award, sponsored by the healthyliving award, in association with NHS Health Scotland
6) The Training & Employee Retention Award, sponsored by Caterer.com
7) The Pub-Restaurant Excellence Award, sponsored by Heinz Foodservice
8) The Sustainable Business Award, co-sponsored by Seafood Scotland
9) The Restaurant Newcomer of the Year Award, sponsored by Sodexo
10) The Independent Hotel of the Year Award, co-sponsored by Bruce Stevenson Insurance & Davidson Asset Management
11) The Junior Chef of the Year Award, sponsored by Brakes Scotland
12) The Group Hotel of the Year Award, sponsored by Gram
13) The Patisserie Chef of the Year Award, sponsored by Callebaut
14) The Restaurant of the Year Award, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions
15) The Chef of the Year Award, sponsored by BaxterStorey Ltd
16) The Lifetime Excellence Award, sponsored by Braehead Foods
Seafood Scotland Joins CIS Excellence Awards as Co-sponsor
Seafood Scotland, the non-political organisation which works throughout the supply chain to promote Scottish seafood to the catering, restaurant and consumer sectors, has joined the CIS Excellence Awards as co-sponsor of the Sustainable Business category.
Collaborating with with fishermen, fish farmers, processors, retailers, foodservice companies, caterers, NGOs and consumers, the organisation’s strength – according to marketing manager Clare MacDougall (pictured) – lies in its ‘hands-on approach, a high level of expertise and strong credibility’.
Entries and nominations for the 2016 CIS Excellence Awards are open until midnight on Friday 11th March. Visit the Award categories section of this website for criteria, entry forms and sponsor info.
Bruce Stevenson Insurance Joins CIS Excellence Awards as Co-sponsor of the Independent Hotel of the Year Award
Award-winning insurance specialists, Bruce Stevenson, have joined the CIS Excellence Awards. Along with Davidson Asset Management, Bruce Stevenson will co-sponsor the Independent Hotel of the Year Award, which aims to identify and celebrate the best establishments Scotland has to offer.
According to the official award criteria, the winning hotel will possess the following attributes:
- An operating philosophy based around the central tenets of innovation, guest satisfaction and a positive contribution to local tourism
- Ultimate autonomy and the capability for senior staff to make key decisions which directly affect the way the business is run
- A clear commitment to environmental awareness, ethical principles and sustainable operating practices in all areas, including local sourcing
- Respected training initiatives and procedures which are proven to improve employee skills and career prospects
- An innovative approach to encouraging and promoting tourism on both a local and national scale
As one of the largest independent insurance brokers in Scotland, Bruce Stevenson provides first-class comprehensive insurance and risk management services for both business and private clients. Account Executive, Carol Ward, is delighted to be cosponsoring the category with Davidson Asset Management: ‘Our new relationship with Catering Scotland as co-sponsors of the CIS Excellence Independent Hotel of the Year Award makes us extremely proud to support the hospitality sector,’ she says. ‘We look forward to serving the insurance needs of the Scottish hospitality and catering industry.’
With a number of offices in major cities throughout Scotland, Bruce Stevenson is already the broker of choice for a number of clients within the Scottish hospitality industry.